Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawsuit

If you served, lived, or worked at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune or Marine Corps Air Station in North Carolina, you may have had contact with contaminants in the drinking water there. You may qualify for the Camp Lejeune Water Contamination Lawsuit if you lived or worked at Camp Lejeune for 30 days or more between August 1, 1953 and December 31, 1987 and suffer from any of the following conditions:

  • Bladder cancer

  • Breast cancer

  • Esophageal cancer

  • Female infertility

  • Hepatic steatosis (fatty liver disease)

  • Kidney cancer

  • Leukemia

  • Lung cancer

  • Miscarriage

  • Multiple myeloma (plasma cell cancer)

  • Myelodysplastic syndromes (disorder that affects blood cell production)

  • Neurobehavioral effects (depression, anxiety)

  • Renal toxicity (toxic kidneys)

  • Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma

  • Scleroderma (inflamed, hard skin)

What was in the drinking water at Camp Lejeune?

Two on-base water wells that were shut down in 1985 had these chemicals:

  • Trichloroethylene (TCE)

  • Perchloroethylene (PCE)

  • Benzene

  • Vinyl chloride

  • Other compounds

Why can I sue for exposure to these chemicals?

The United States Congress passed the Camp Lejeune Justice Act which allows certain individuals to sue and recover damages for harm from exposure to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987. While the U.S. government generally has immunity to lawsuits, this bill prohibits the U.S. government from asserting specified immunity from litigation in response to a lawsuit for exposure to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune.

Am I eligible to receive benefits?

Camp Lejeune claimants will need to be able to produce documentary evidence to show that they lived or worked at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987. Marines, military personnel, and their families can simply provide their military service records to satisfy this requirement. Others seeking compensation will need to produce some other type of employment verification such as social security employment records.

Even if you are unable to locate appropriate documentation showing, you can still pursue a claim. However, it will be more difficult to establish eligibility without supporting documents.  We can help you find the documents that may be missing.

What if my loved one passed away many years ago?

As long as your loved one meets the eligibility requirements above, you can bring a Camp Lejeune wrongful death lawsuit on their behalf.

If you believe you or a family member may qualify for benefits as a result to exposure to contaminated water at Camp LeJeune, contact us for a free consultation to see how we can help you and your family.

Translate »